Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mapping Earthquakes and Volcanoes

In science class we started studying earthquakes and volcanoes. We got a map of the earth a paper with locations of earthquakes and volcanoes. We had a task to find all the volcanoes using the locations, and label them. And we had a guiding question which is, Is there a pattern in the locations of earthquakes and volcanoes? And then had to talk about it, here is what I thought.
Guiding Question: Is there a pattern in the locations of earthquakes and volcanoes?



Hypothesis: What I saw is that most of the volcanoes and earthquakes happen on the coasts of countries. Also I noticed that they are both mostly in the south.

                                     



All the earthquakes are evenly distributed on the map, but they are mostly in the south scattered everywhere.



Volcanoes are also evenly distributed on the map, and they are usually close to seas and oceans. Also I realized that if there is a volcano, there is an earthquake close by. They are scattered all over the southern part of earth.


A relationship I see is that where ever I see a volcano or earthquake, there is another one close by.


If I add some additional volcanoes and earthquakes where ever I want, of course I would change the pattern because I will not put the volcanoes and earthquakes where they really occur. But if I put additional volcanoes and earthquakes that really occurred in real life. Then the pattern would stay the same.





As you can see in this photo the most recent earthquakes happened in Kopaonik, Kraljevo, Mionica and Cacak. But unfortunately there are not any active volcanoes in Serbia.


The closest earthquake to my home is the one that occurred in Mionica. The distance between my home and Mionica is 56 miles, or 91 kilometers.


No comments:

Post a Comment