Friday, January 14, 2011

This Weeks Reflection

What I Learned
This week I have learned a lot in science class. We watched Bill Ney the science guy and it was very informational. First we watched a film about the earth and what is inside of it. At the beginning I thought there were six layers under the Earth’s crust. But, unfortunately, I was wrong. The Earth has 4 layers. The first layer is called the crust and that is where we stand, it is cool and hard. The second layer is called the Mantle, it is gooey, and about 1,200 degrees Celsius hot. Then is the outer core which is filled and made out of iron. The last but definitely not least, is the core. It is the hottest part of earth; it is about 1,500 degrees Celsius hot. I have also learned that every time there is an earthquake, the other side of the Earth can’t feel it because the core is stopping the earthquake go further. Also I learned that every year the Europe and America move 2 inches apart.


The second Bill Nye the science guy video was about caves. I learned that caves can be under ground, under ice, in huge rocks, and even under water. Caves that are under water are formed by water going underground and making the whole under water. In any tape of cave everything stays the same for almost forever, the look, and the temperature. I learned that the stalactites are the ones at the top because they have to hold tight, and the stalagmites are the bottom ones because it might touch the stalactite. Also i learned all the kinds of animals that go or live in. There are three kinds, there is the Trogloxenes, which are cave visitors like bats, Troglyphile, which are cave lovers like warms, and the Troglodytes, they are cave dwellers, they can’t see and there are no pigments. And to end this of, i learned that bats are the link to life in the cave, and caves are creepy and scary.


 







 


What I would like to learn

First I would like to learn about what happens to mines once it was excavated? Or what are some other theories about the Earth’s core? Also I have heard that people live in underground cave, I would like to learn if that is true? Also I would like to know how deep are the Earth and what the deepest whole that people have dug is? Also how hot is the hottest part inside the Earth? I would like to study some of the stalactites and stalagmites’ like when they dye and how long do they last before they fall of?  Also how long does it take for each type of cave to be created and how long can it last? I want to learn a bit more about mines and what kinds of diamond and gold you can find there? Or when the mines are excavated, how do the diamonds come back so they can get more gold and diamonds?  And for the end I would like to learn more about the layers of Earth, like how hot or cold they are, what are they made up of and lots more?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Miona,
    Excellent reflection. It is clear that you learned a lot last week. You have proposed a lot of inquiries. Hopefully we will get to investigate your inquiries within the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete