Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Marble Motion

GUIDING QUESTIONS:


  1. Does a mass of a marble affect how the marble moves?
  2. When given a force, what happens to its motion?
HYPOTHESIS: 
  1. I think that the mass affects the way the marble moves because if it is heavy and huge it moves slower than the small and light ones. Think of it as people, for bigger people it is a bit hard to get up and exercise but for thinner people it is always easy to bend down or run fast.
  2. When force is in the spotlight, the motion does as the force says. The speed and the way an object moves is all about how hard and strong is the force. Forces can't be seen by sight, but motion is there to show how the force is acting.

MATERIALS


small marble
big marble
tennis ball
metal marble
ping pong ball
small foam ball

TABLE:
1 Straw                                            2 straws
























DATA ANALISIS

I can tell from the data I got that the weight is a big factor in how far and fast the ball will move and the amount of force you put on the ball. Also most of the balls moved left and right they did not go in a straight line, so we had to straighten the desk. The one that moved the least when we bowed with 1 straw was the golf ball because it was heavy and big, but it did move, and the least that moved with 2 straws was the red ball. That ones that moved the farthest for 1 straw were the big styrophone ball, ping pong ball, big marble, mid marble and the small marble That many because they all got 137+, we also had many in the 2 straws.



CONCLUSION

From my data I can tell that my hypothesis was correct. So the more force you have the longer the ball will go. And the bigger and heavier ball will go shorter. As I did this project I found out that even before mentioning marble motion or forces and motion, I knew a lot more in my head. I liked this project because it wasn't like other labs or project.


FURTHUR INQUARY

If I were to do this project again I would use a more flat table that is not leaning to the side. Another thing that I would do is to make a track so it could not curve too much and so that i could know the exact length instead of 137+. Also I would weigh each of them to get a better answer. All in all I am happy with how I worked with my partner and did in general. If I did this again though I know there are ways I could do better. Like many people say, there is always room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment